The Eighties made me

So, I can't sleep and I turned on Netflix and started watching the CNN documentary, The Eighties.

The Challenger explosion still gives me chills. I remember sitting in my classroom watching the first teacher go into space.
More than anything else, we were excited and filled with pride that Ron McNair, a Lake City, South Carolina native, was on that shuttle.

Innocence died that day. Along with my dreams of flying into space. For years and to this day, I'm afraid to fly. The little girl who didn't have a concept of death watched people die. Watched a hero die.

As I watched the story being retold, that little girl wondered, she could've been had she not allowed fear to hold her back. After Challenger, I didn't want anything to do with science. I thought, science could kill you.

I was beginning to understand why my Daddy jumped out of airplanes (and yes, I know it is not the same) instead of sitting in one and going up, up and away.

Looking back on the 80s, beyond the clothes and music, it was a scary time. While many think Ronald Reagan was the best president ever, excuse me while I barf, he was a warmonger and almost killed us all. I'm now fully away of how close my father could've have come to death and going into another war. Thanks, Reagan.

We were all so poor. Reaganomics almost killed this country —though most people won't admit it.
Technology came to be in the 80s. How bad did you want a Walkman? And MTV actually showed videos. Though it took them a long time to put black people on their network.
Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. A lot of the rhetoric that came from Reagan and the Congress back then, sounds a lot like what we're hearing today. Again, I'm scared. But this time, I'm a grown up and I can do something this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman rapes a dead man and gets pregnant

Django Unchained or The live version of Catcher Freeman

We can be so petty